Monday, May 24, 2004

The Employment Picture

On my little mapquest below, I found this neato little toy.

Anyhow, I was kinda' shocked to see the state-by-state breakdown of unemployment shifts for the Bush Administration. This map represents the unemployment rate on January of 2001. This map shows the unemployment situation last month.

This means that over the lifetime of the Bush Administration, unemployment has DECREASED in a net total of five states (Hawaii, Wyoming, Delaware, Louisiana and Nevada). It has broken even over the lifetime of the Administration in North Dakota, South Dakota, and Montana. Unemployment has INCREASED (less people have jobs) in the remaining 42 states of the Union.

How does this compare to the Clinton terms? Well, from January of 1992 to April of 1996 unemployment rose in only five states. DC, South Dakota, Kansas, New Mexico, and Hawaii. In his second term, January of 1997 to April of 2000 unemployment only rose in TWO states (North Dakota and Nebraska). Thus, this means that in 8 years of Clintonian economics there was a net gain in the employment rate for a minimum of 45 states. In the first term of the Bush Administration there has so far been a net loss in the employment rate for 42 states.

Wowzers. I guess this is what you'd expect from a CEO President. Mass layoffs..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting, Geoff!

I am going to be a regular reader of your blog...seeing as how I didn't realize how much I was going to miss you on Slate...so for this post, I will remain anonymous...but I bet a dollar, you will guess who this is pretty quickly!

Going back to read what I have missed so far.

Carry on!

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home