Monday, July 12, 2004

Challenged on Fact

That's just something I can't let slide. Either I'm wrong, in which case as an honorable man I must concede, or I'm not, in which case I must demonstrate it. A reader objects to my assumption that San Diego is liberal below:


San Diego is not Dem territory. Count the D/R districts in the county and the pop. of those districts. SD County would be two more R senators to balance MA or CT


In Election 2000:
George Bush prevailed over Al Gore in San Diego County by a margin of 4%.
Dianne Feinstein prevailed over Tom Campbell by a margin of 11%.
San Diego sent 3 Republicans and 2 Democrats to the House of Representatives.
It sent 1 Dem and 1 Rep to the State Senate
It sent 5 Republicans and 3 Democrats to the State Assembly.

In Election 2002:
Bill Simon prevailed over Gray Davis by a margin of 11%.
3 Republicans, 2 Democrats to the U.S. House of Representatives.
2 Republicans, 1 Democrat to the State Senate.
6 Republicans, 2 Democrats to the State Assembly.
6 Republicans, 0 Democrats for statewide executive offices (Lt. Gov., Controller, etc.)

Also, based on current registration there are 470,000 registered Democrats and 560,000 registered Republicans in the County of San Diego.

In sum, I was wrong, and I hereby retract the charge that San Diego is liberal. It seems that it has grown more conservative in the last 4 years, so it's possible at least that my memory has simply lagged behind the facts. I also grew up in Orange County, which made the entire state look like an undifferentiated land of hippies, so maybe I just had the wrong impression about San Diego County.

Most likely, however, I just spouted off an assumption without fact-checking it first, and thus made an error. So, I'm wrong, Anonymous is right, San Diego is not a liberal county.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home