Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Dial Now for Complementary Steak Knives

It seems George Bush has discovered the palliative for our economic doldrums. Private economic activity.

Is it just me or does this read like an infomerical from a Huckster in Chief:


THE PRESIDENT: How many did you hire? How many did you hire?

MR. SHAVER: We hired about half a dozen people, eight people, maybe.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, that's it. Let me tell you something. He hires eight. Another vibrant small business hires eight, and all of a sudden, you got people working in America. That's what I'm talking about. (Applause.)

Go ahead.

MR. SHAVER: But what made it possible for us to hire these people is the policy that you put in place has enabled me to purchase capital equipment, and if I purchase capital equipment, I have to have people to run it.

THE PRESIDENT: Let me tell you something. Part of the tax relief for small businesses was not just cutting the rates. We also incentivized people to buy equipment. In other words, if he bought equipment, he got a little extra help in the tax code.

And so what did you buy?

MR. SHAVER: We bought a horizontal machining center and we added on to the building, too.

THE PRESIDENT: See. Buys a horizontal machining center. (Laughter.) But somebody had to make it, right? (Laughter.) You see, we give -- he makes a decision because the tax code said, you know, it's in your interest if you do, which was to buy a machine. And somebody had to make the machine. And so what he just told you was, by buying a machine, it enabled him to hire two people. And by buying the machine, it also made the machine manufacturer more likely to either keep an employee or add one to help meet his demand. I think that's the way it works --

MR. SHAVER: That is correct.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, I understand it. (Applause.) Tell me about -- he's got an interesting idea. First of all, are you planning on investing again?

MR. SHAVER: Yes, we've already -- I've bought a -- we spent about $150,000 this year so far on a new truck and a vertical machining center.

THE PRESIDENT: You got the horizontal machining center -- (laughter.) Education is really important. (Laughter and applause.)

[...]

Doug Richardson is with us.

MR. RICHARDSON: Right here, Mr. President.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes, you're the same guy I met recently. (Laughter.) He is the co-owner -- you know, one of the things I love to talk about is ownership in America. I love it when guys like Mike and Doug own their own business. I love the idea of more people owning their own home. Do you realize that home ownership rates in America are at an all-time high? (Applause.) Isn't it wonderful to think about a country where more people own something, they open up their front door and say, welcome to my home. (Applause.) This guy, Doug Richardson is co-owner, which is -- I love the ring. He's an entrepreneur.

Tell us what you do.

It goes on and on like that...
And for the bonus segment:

George W. Bush Says Something Sensible that Geoff Agrees With



Q They believe the reason why is because of your views or your regulations on immigration, and I --

THE PRESIDENT: Yes. He's asking my views on immigration. Thanks. Here's what I believe. I believe that we have a policy today that is not working, and my responsibility is to address problems. We have a situation where we've got willing employers who can't find workers here in America to fill jobs, who are looking for people who are coming across the border. Talk to some of your farm workers, they know what I'm talking about -- or your -- people -- meatpackers. I mean, there's a lot of workers, lot of employers who can't find workers. Interestingly enough, there's a lot of people who want to improve themselves, and so they're willing to walk miles to work. And so I believe a good policy is for a willing employer, who can't find a U.S. citizen to fill the job, to be able to look, in a legal fashion, for somebody who's willing to fill the job.

I think that's an important part of keeping the economy growing. I also know it's an important part of being a compassionate America. I mean, why would you want to have a system where the employer is illegal, the worker is illegal, and if the worker gets harmed, he or she is fearful of bringing a complaint, for fear of not being able to fulfill their function.

Look, I was the governor of the great state of Texas. We had a -- thank you, ma'am. We had a -- there you go. We had a -- we obviously had an issue with this. There's moms and dads who live in Mexico who feel an obligation to work to feed their kids, and if they can make $5 in America, as opposed to $.50 in Mexico, they're going to come. And so, therefore, in order to, in my judgment, to better enforce our borders, which we must do, we need a temporary worker program that says to people -- again, I repeat, if you can't find a worker, let's have it legal so you can find somebody to do the job.

Now, this will enable somebody to go back and forth to their country. There will be a -- you know, looking forward to working with Congress on limiting this. This doesn't mean automatic citizenship. I don't think you ought to penalize people who have been waiting in line for citizenship with somebody who has got a temporary worker card. But I think the system needs to be changed. And that's what you can tell your -- tell your union buddies, that this is a system that says we can't -- if you can't find a worker, then you ought to be able to legally be able to hire somebody who's willing to do the job.

Let me also tell you something. One reason I'm for trade in our neighborhood is because I know ultimately the way to keep pressure off our borders is for people to be able to find work close to home. People want to be able to work close to home. You got to understand, moms and dads in Mexico have the same desire as moms and dads here, to put food on the table for their families. And if they can find work at home, it's going to take the pressure of our borders. And the best way to do so is to have free and fair trade in our neighborhood as well. (Applause.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home